YOUTH ART EXHIBITION 2019
DIA DE LOS MUERTOS YOUTH ART EXHIBITION
We invite area students in grades 6-12 to participate in the Dia de los Muertos Youth Art Exhibition. The exhibition will be held at the Bay Jewel Event Center during the festival Nov. 2, 2019. Special Thanks to T-Shirt Gallery and Sports for sponsoring this exhibition.
2019 Youth Art Exhibition Guidelines:
No Fee to Enter. One entry allowed per student. The label form provided must be attached to each work of art submitted.
THEME : Symbols of Day of the Dead: Create a single symbol or combine symbols. These are a few examples:
- The Cempasuchil, the bright yellow Mexican marigold, also known as the flor de muerto, adorns gravesites and altars. Its strong scent and bright color (said to represent the Aztec sun god Tonotiuh) are believed to attract the spirits of the deceased as they come to visit their family on the Day of the Dead.
- Monarch butterflies are believed to carry the spirits of the departed back to the land of the living. This belief stems from the fact that the first migrating monarchs arrive in Mexico for the winter each fall on Nov. 1, which coincides with Día de los Muertos.
- Calaveritas de azucar, or sugar skulls, along with toys, are left on the altars for children who have passed. The sugar skull is a whimsical reminder of the cycle of life, which is why they are brightly decorated.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ARTWORK All entries must be the student’s original artwork. Entries may not be copied from a published artwork or photograph. Entries must have been created within the past year. Entries must reference and/or represent the Dia de los Muertos holiday. Class projects may be submitted.
- All entries must be the student’s original artwork created within the past year. KSpace Contemporary reserves the right to reject any work of art for any reason.
- One entry allowed per student. No fee to enter.
- 2-Dimensional works only (no 3D)
- Entries must be 12in x 18in on paper, matboard or unstretched canvas. No Canvas boards will be accepted. All works must be UNFRAMED.
- Accepting 2D media: drawing, painting, printmaking, collage, photography, digital art, etc.
- Attach Label Form to the back of each work of art submitted. (download)
AWARDS Submitted works will be judged for awards, and ribbons will be placed on winning works. Awards are given in 2 categories: Jr. High grades 6-8, and High School grades 9-12.
SALES Works of art can be available for sale. Enter “NFS“ (not for sale) as “price” if you do not want to sell your piñata. To offset processing costs, K Space Contemporary will retain 10 % commission on sold works.
DELIVERY AND PICK UP AT K SPACE CONTEMPORARY
415 D Starr St. Corpus Christi, TX. Hours Wed-Sat. 11AM-5PM
All artwork must be delivered by FRIDAY, OCTOBER 18. Each work of art must have a label attached. Artwork must be picked up by SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 16. Pick up is solely the responsibility of each student/parent or Teacher.
Attention Teachers: We are accepting class projects.
- October 18 – Last day to drop off Artwork
- November 2 – Dia de los Muertos Festival and Youth exhibition at Bay Jewel Event Center, 624 Mesquite St.
- Nov. 16 – Last day to pick up artwork
DELIVERY AND PICK UP AT
K SPACE CONTEMPORARY
415 D Starr St. Corpus Christi, TX
Hours: Wed. – Sat. 11am – 5pm