Info for Performers 2019
Below is important information regarding your performance at the Dia de los Muertos Festival. Please check the Entertainment Schedule(s) for your specific performance time(s) and stage. (Some dancers are performing on multiple stages, so be sure to check all stage schedules.) After you have confirmed your performance time and stage, see the Stage information below for instructions on arrival and parking. Just click the link below to see the stage schedules.
GENERAL INFO FOR PERFORMERS (MUSICIANS, BANDS, DANCERS, etc.):
Dia de los Muertos Street Festival is hosted by K Space Contemporary and Axis Tattoo. Michelle Smythe is the Director of K Space Contemporary and central contact for the event. Belinda Edwards, co-owner of Axis Tattoo, is the Co-Chair of the event.
Mellon Sound & Audio, Andrew Gonzalez and Abel Bocanegra Jr. with SKIP Entertainment are in charge of stage production. Teresa Saldivar is coordinating the Kids Performance Area.
Promotion: Our Facebook page and Instagram site include festival updates and highlights. K Space Contemporary maintains both. Please share our posts, add a post on our Facebook event or tag us (Facebook – @CorpusChristiDiadelosMuertosFestival or Instagram @DiadelosMuertosCC) to help promote your performance. Please include our event hashtag – #DiadelosMuertosCC in your social media posts.
Set-Up Time: Musicians and dancers must arrive 1 hour before performance time. Allow time for traffic delays and time to travel through the festival zone. Please do not be late.
Music for Dancers: Bring dance music on an IPOD or MP3 player. Put all of your music in the order of your performances into one Playlist named “DiaFest”. (There is no time for the DJ to scroll through your music to find the next song….) Hand your IPOD to the DJ just before you perform. Then, pick up your IPOD/MP3 right after your performance. Please Do Not bring your music on a phone – if a call comes in, the music might stop.
Amenities/Dressing Room: This is a street festival, therefore, we do not have the amenities of an auditorium. Please arrive dressed in your performance costume if possible. If you need a dressing area, you may use the restrooms inside The Bay Jewel Event Center located at the corner of Starr and Mesquite Streets. Also, the festival is crowded and it may be difficult to make your way through the crowd. Be sure to allow extra time to travel to the stage.
Performance Areas for dancers and groups between bands: At the Main Stage, dancers perform on the street in front of the stage. Dancers perform onstage at The Ritz Stage. The Kids Corner performance area is a parking lot surface.
Arrival/Parking: see individual stage information below for how to get to your performance area. Traffic on event day is extremely congested. Allow extra travel time for traffic delays. RTA provides a FREE Park-N-Ride from City Hall and the County Courthouse. The Park-N-Ride drops riders off in the center of the festival zone at Starr and Upper Broadway. Event stages are only 1-2 blocks from the drop-off point.
STAGES & DETAILS
- Location: Starr and Chaparral Streets, hosting Contemporary Latin Pop and Rock bands until midnight. Early in the day are cultural performances, like Folklorico, Mariachi’s etc.
- Stage: 20’x 24’x 4’h wooden stage with a ramp and steps. 30-40 feet is allowed between the stage and seating, so dancers may perform on the street level in front of the stage and people can dance.
- Stage Manager: Andrew Gonzalez, Mellon Sound and Audio
- Lighting: professional light system provided by SKIP Entertainment.
- Dancers perform in the street in front of the stage.
Arrival & Parking:
- Musicians: Turn onto Starr from Water Street. A festival staffer will move the barricade and monitor parking behind the stage. Park on the side of the street behind the stage. Do not block the other driveways on the street. Please bring only one or two vehicles, and move your car immediately following your performance to allow other performers to get in. If you wish to return and enjoy the festival after leaving the performance zone, we encourage you to use the FREE RTA Park N Ride from City Hall and the County Courthouse.
- Dancers: RTA provides Park N Ride from the City Hall Parking lot. Follow “Event Parking” signs from freeways. Park N Ride will drop riders off at Starr and Lower Broadway in the center of the festival zone. Arrive at the Park N Ride at least one hour prior to your performance to allow time to travel to the festival and walk to the stage. Performers can also have someone drop them off on Taylor at Water Street or Starr at Water, then walk one block to the Main Stage on Starr Street.
- Location: the Ritz Theater Parking Lot in the 400 block of Taylor facing towards the bridge.
- The Ritz Stage presents dance performances from 3 pm to 7:30 pm and DJ Music from 7:30 to midnight. Stage Management and Lighting provided by SKIP Entertainment.
- Dancers perform onstage.
- Stage: 32′ wide x 24′ deep x 2′ high stage is comprised of 4′ x 4′ sections connected together. The stage flooring is wooden. A step is provided to access the stage. This stage is set up in front of the DJ Set. Picnic tables provide seating in the area in front of the stage.
- Sponsor: Modelo Especial, Andrews Distributing
Arrival & Parking:
- DJs: Enter festival zone from Schatzel at Lower Broadway. Turn right onto Starr Street, left on Mesquite and right on Taylor. You will need to load in your equipment by 10 am. DJs on site by 2 pm and staying for the entire festival may park in the Furman Garage on Mesquite Street ($10) across from Mesquite St. Pizza, or Park behind the stage if room is available. You will not be able to drive into or out of the festival zone between 2 pm and midnight when the festival ends.
- Dancers: RTA provides FREE Park N Ride from the City Hall Parking lot. Follow “Event Parking” signs from freeways. Park N Ride will drop riders off at Starr and Lower Broadway in the center of the festival zone. Arrive at the Park N Ride at least one and a half hours prior to your performance to allow time to travel to the festival and walk to the stage. DROP OFF: Performers can also have someone drop them off at the corner of Mesquite and Taylor Streets next to the Caller Times. (One lane will remain open on Mesquite to drop off festival participants.) Walk one block to the Ritz Stage in the parking lot on Taylor Street. (See Map)
- Location: In La Retama Park at the corner of Mesquite and Schatzel Streets. La Retama Stage presents local Tehano, Conjunto, Cumbia, Salsa and Rock music.
- Stage: 20’D by 24’W by 2” H, metal stage with steps
- Lighting: provided by Mellon Sound and Audio
Arrival & Parking:
- Musicians: Come down Schatzel from Water Street. Turn right onto Lower Broadway, then right again onto Peoples. A festival volunteer will move barricade. Park to the side of the street to unload your equipment. You will need to back out to leave. Please bring only one or two vehicles, and move your car immediately following your performance to allow other performers to get in. If you wish to return and enjoy the festival after leaving the performance zone, we encourage you to use the FREE RTA Park N Ride from City Hall and the County Courthouse.
- Located in Parking Lot at Mesquite and Starr Streets
- No Stage – a 34′ wide x 22′ deep area – marked out on the parking lot.
- Stage Manager: Teresa Saldivar
- Lighting is provided a light tower and DJ set up
Arrival and Parking
- The RTA is providing FREE Park & Ride from the City Hall and County Courthouse Parking lots. Follow “Event Parking” signs from freeways. Arrive at the Park N Ride at least one hour prior to your performance to allow time to travel to the festival and walk to the stage. Park N Ride will drop riders off at Starr and Lower Broadway where you can walk one block to the Kids Corner at Starr and Mesquite. The Kid’s Corner Parking Lot is on the left.
- Drop Off: Kids’ Corner Performers may also have someone drop them off at the corner of Mesquite and Taylor Streets next to the Caller Times. (One lane will remain open on Mesquite to drop off festival participants.) Walk one block to the the Kids Performance Area in the parking lot at Mesquite and Starr. (See Map)