DIA DE LOS MUERTOS FINE ART EXHIBITION AT K SPACE CONTEMPORARY
[two_third]On display October 24 – November 24:
Stop by K Space Contemporary to see this colorful exhibition featuring traditional and contemporary interpretations of the Dia de los Muertos holiday. This year, the exhibition was opened to artists nationwide and selected by a juror. 53 works by 38 artists were selected from the entries submitted.
The exhibition is open during the Dia de los Muertos Festival on Oct. 27, 3 pm to midnight, and during gallery hours: Wednesday – Saturday, 11am to 5 pm, Oct. 24 – Nov. 24. Admission is free. Awards will be presented at a special reception for the artists on November 2, 5:30 to 9 pm during ArtWalk.
Dia de los Muertos Fine Art Exhibition was juried by popular Corpus Christi artist, Ricardo Ruiz who produces paintings and drawings inspired by his Hispanic heritage, borderland culture, and Mexican-American folklore. His work is included in the permanent collections of the Art Museum of South Texas, the University of Texas at San Antonio, Cheech Marin Collection and numerous private collections. Ruiz has exhibited widely throughout the United States, and his work has been featured in “Chicanitas” and “Los Tejanos”, which are recent traveling exhibitions from the Cheech Marin Collection. Active in Corpus Christi’s Art community, Ruiz designed the Dia de los Muertos mural at Starr St. and Lower Broadway and contributed two card panels to the Loteria mural on Chaparral.
Congratulations to the Award Winners:
- First Place: “Las Mariposas” by Michele Parlee
- Second Place: “Loose Ends” by Annabel Trevino
- Third Place: “Tchotchke (enlightened sacred heart)” by Amorette Garza
- Honorable Mention: “Big Dog” by Robbie Barber
- Honorable Mention: “Bloom Again” by Brandy Gonzalez
- Honorable Mention: “Dia de los Muertos Mask” by Roel Palacios
Congratulations to the Selected Artists! (listed below)
- Ashley Acevedo, “Dance to Death”
- Dave Armbruster, “El Rey de la Frontera Salvaje”
- Mark Aubrey, “Los Inocentes”
- Meg Aubrey, “Christa”
- Robbie Barber, “Big Dog”
- Robbie Barber, “Grey Skeleton”
- Brandin Baron, “Momento Mori: Bisbee Bawdy House”
- Brandin Baron, “Momento Mori, Poe’s Berenice”
- Brandin Baron, “Death” from Tarot del Río de las Ánimas Perdidas
- Cassandra Bazhaw, “La Estrella”
- Robert Bustamante, “Night of the Living Head”
- Robert Bustamante, “Mi Amor”
- Mark Clark, “Zapatista Calavera 2”
- Eric Cuevas, “Fire at a Jesuit Hacienda, Outside Puebla”
- Georgia Ruiz Davis, “Tu Solo Tu”
- Dominique Deve, “P.120”
- Crystal Farris, “In Memory of…”
- Erin Flores, “Dancing skeletons”
- Linda Flores, “Paloma”
- Linda Flores, “Curiosa”
- Amorette Garza, “Tchotchke (baby girl with sacred heart)”
- Amorette Garza, “Tchotchke (sitting sacred)”
- Amorette Garza, “Tchotchke (enlightened sacred heart)”
- Brandy González, “Bloom Again”
- Masha Keen, “Sugar Skull”
- Dwayne Kraatz, “Una mas”
- Elsa Mathews, “Yo Quiero Volver”
- Charley B Burphy, “Vision of Our Lady”
- Charley B Murphy, “Magritte”
- Debbie Noble, “Mother Daughter Moment”
- Roel Palacios, “Dia de los Muertos Mask”
- Michele Parlee, “Las Mariposas”
- Rachel Pena, “#2”
- Rachel Pena, “#3”
- Dolores Ponce, “La Cruz de Dia de los Muertos”
- Alberto Puga, “Katri-Charra”
- David Ramirez, “Love Forever”
- Greg Reuter, “Skull”
- Celina Robledo, “Sin cuenta- y uno?”
- Heather Romano, “Cuerpo de Mi Cuerpo”
- Heather Romano, “Desire”
- Jessica Salazar-McBride, “Cactus Dance”
- Jason Sullivan, Untitled (pearl)
- Yannina Taboada, “Esperando La Visita”
- Elise Techentine, “Masquerade”
- Elise Techentine, “One Foot In”
- Annabel Trevino, “Immortality”
- Annabel Trevino, “Loose Ends”
- Annabel Trevino, “We Can Build You Up, Or Tear You Down”
- Xanthe Vinson, “Remember the Chingonas”
- Day Wheeler, “George Orr (Mad Potter of Biloxi Mississippi) Altar”
- Day Wheeler, “Don Esquelet Centering Death”
- Day Wheeler, “K Space Spirits”
Important Dates for Artists:
- September 24: Entry Deadline
- October 1: Artists Notified by email
- October 13: Works must be delivered to K Space
- October 5-6, October 10-13: Accepting Hand Deliveries
- October 24 – November 24: Exhibition Dates
- October 27: Open during the Dia de los Muertos Festival
- November 2, 5:30 – 9 pm: Artists’ Reception with ArtWalk
- November 24: Last day of the exhibition
- December 4-5: Return Shipped works
- ONLINE ENTRY FORM
Eligibility: Artists age 18+ living in the USA may enter. Entries must be original works of art completed in the last 3 years. Works previously exhibited at K Space Contemporary (KSC) or Schaudies Gallery at K Space Art Studios (formerly the Hot Spot) are not eligible. Failure to comply with submission guidelines may disqualify your entry.
Media: Open to all visual art forms except video and performance art. Artists must be available to install complicated works. Submit original works of art only – no reproductions please.
Size Limitation: Two-dimensional works must not exceed 48 inches in either direction. Three-dimensional works (and shipping crates) must fit through a 36 x 83-inch doorway. Sculpture must be manageable by two people.
Awards: Cash awards for the top 3 works. Honorable Mentions are given at the juror’s discretion.
Sales: All works must be For Sale. KSC collects payment and retains 40% commission. Include gallery commission when pricing your work.
Format: Works are juried from digital images submitted online. Artists may submit one image for each 2D work of art and two images for each 3D work of art.
Entry Fee (non-refundable): $35/non-members ($25/ K Space members) for 1 to 3 works of art. Each additional entry is $5. Enter online through our website. The Entry fee can be paid online through PayPal or by mailing a check or money order payable to K Space Contemporary, or you may pay by credit card over the phone. Paying online through the entry system automatically completes your submission.
Notice: Jury results will be posted on diadelosmuertoscc.com and emailed directly to the artists. Please make sure that your email address in My Profile in the online entry system is correct.
Framing Requirements: 2-D works must be properly prepared for exhibition with wire securely attached. Shipped works requiring glazing must use Plexi-glass or equivalent. Only white, off-white or black mats are acceptable. We prefer that drawings and prints be framed for protection; however, we will exhibit works on paper using magnets or clips. Unframed paintings must be painted around the edges in solid black, white or grey or with continued image. The following are not accepted: wet paint, clamp/clip frames, fragile frames, glass, colored mats, and thick, bulky, decorative frames not represented in the juried image as part of the work of art.
If your work is selected for the show:
[one_half]Shipping: All shipping costs and liability for damage are the responsibility of the artist. Accepted works must be shipped via UPS in reusable containers. Make sure your name is on your crate in permanent marker on the outside. Shipped works must arrive at KSC no earlier than October 5 and no later than October 13. Note: Pack your work well with at least 3 layers of bubble wrap or surrounded with styrofoam in a sturdy box. Do NOT use packing peanuts. Works that arrive in broken or damaged crates will be returned immediately.
Ship Accepted Works to: K Space Contemporary, 415D Starr Street, Corpus Christi, Texas 78401
Return Shipping: A pre-printed shipping label for return shipment must be included with your work OR emailed to email@example.com by November 26 with SHIPPING LABEL; in the subject line. To create a return shipping label, visit www.ups.com. If your work is 2D, attached the return shipping label to the back. If your work is 3D, include an envelope with the return shipping label inside your crate where it can be easily identified. If there are specific instructions for return shipping, such as a freight carrier, make a note of it on bright colored paper and staple to the return label.
Hand Delivery: Artists may deliver accepted works of art to KSC on dates and times noted in the Calendar.
Label: Each accepted work must arrive with proper labeling (name, email address and phone number, title, media, date, retail price) securely attached to the back of frame or bottom of sculpture.
Selected Works: KSC reserves the right to reject works not represented accurately in the image and description in the entry form. KSC may refuse works that arrive damaged, are poorly constructed or poorly presented (dirty mats, warped canvases, etc.).
Promotion & Use of Images: Selecting “Yes” in the “Publicity ok?” blank gives K Space Contemporary permission to use your work(s) of art in promotional materials for the exhibition (website, social media, print materials). Artists maintain copyright and are credited for works as follows: Title of Work by Artist Name.
Insurance: We recommend that you insure your work and purchase insurance when shipping your work.
Abandoned Works: Works left at K Space Contemporary 60 days after the last day of the exhibition are considered ABANDONED. Abandoned works become the property of K Space Contemporary and will be disposed of, sold, or given away with no compensation to the artist.
When you click the link below, you will see two opportunities. To enter the Fine Art exhibition, select “Dia de los Muertos Fine Art Exhibition” (The other opportunity is to be an outdoor Arts & Crafts Vendor at the Festival).