Dia de los Muertos Art Collection – Commission Designs
Deadline: Sunday, December 6
Due to COVID19, the 2020 Dia de los Muertos Festival was limited to online content and gallery exhibitions. Since we are not having a street festival, we’ve decided to commission art for future festivals. So this year, we are starting a Dia de los Muertos Art Collection, which we envision to become a prestigious collection featuring a who’s who among Corpus Christi’s most talented and revered artists.
We are looking for amazing Dia de los Muertos Designs!!! From the designs submitted, the Dia de los Muertos Festival Committee and K Space Contemporary Board of Directors will select five designs to be enlarged to 6’ x 8’ paintings. Selected artists will be paid $1000 for the finished commission paintings. K Space will provide canvas, primer, paint, sealer and instructions.
Commissioned paintings and selected designs will be exhibited at K Space Contemporary in 2021 during Dia de los Muertos. Afterwards, the commissioned 6’ x 8’ paintings will be exhibited year after year in various locations as part of the festival. We hope to add one new work of art to the collection annually.
Dec. 6, 2020 (midnight): Deadline for Submissions
Dec. 16, 2020: Selections Announced and Commissions Awarded
Feb. 28, 2021: Commissioned paintings must be completed
Oct. 15 – Nov. 12, 2021: Dia de los Muertos Art Collection Exhibit at K Space Contemporary
- Artists may submit 1 – 3 designs for consideration. There is no entry fee.
- Open to artists age 18 years and up who live and work within 60 miles of Corpus Christi or have participated as an Arts & Crafts Expo Vendor at the Corpus Christi Dia de los Muertos Festival.
- Design Size: For your design, use one of the following standard sizes which correspond in ratio (1.33) to the enlarged painting size: 6”x 8”, 9”x 12”, 13.5”x 18”, 15”x 20”, 18”x 24”, 30″ x 40″
- Designs must reflect the beauty, joy and whimsy of Dia de los Muertos.
- Designs must incorporate Dia de los Muertos subject matter: Sugar Skull(s), skeleton characters, dancing skeletons, dog or cat skeletons, an altar, etc.
- Designs must be original.
- We are seeking bold designs that can be seen from a distance.
- Designs must be created in a vertical format. (longest side vertical) This means that the finished piece will be 6-foot wide by 8-foot tall.
- Designs must be fully rendered, finished and in color (unless your design is only black and white). Impress the review committee with a design that is as close to the final product as possible.
- If selected, Artists must be able to enlarge their design to 6’ wide x 8’ tall and paint it on canvas using acrylic paint.
To Submit Your Design(s):
Complete the form below and upload an image(s) of your design by
December 6, 2020
All submitted designs will be displayed for the Dia de los Muertos Festival