On Dia de los Muetos, every soul should be remembered as a happy one, so the deceased are depicted in skeletal form full of vitality as they were in life – talking, laughing, enjoying their usual activities, and celebrating.
The 2019 Dia de los Muertos fine art exhibition at K Space Contemporary will honor the tradition of Calaveras y Calacas (Skulls and Skeletons) in Mexican art. We are seeking works of art that fill the canvas with a sugar skull(s) or skeleton(s): humans, animals, bugs, birds and any other being that can be depicted as a sugar skull or in skeletal form.
This colorful exhibition, welcoming and celebrating the dead, will be part of our Dia de los Muertos Pop Up Show called Arte Inmersivo.
- Open to All – must be (or become) a member of K Space Contemporary. Artist memberships $35, Students & Seniors age 65+ $20. Join Online Here.
- Number of works: Each artist may submit 1 – 2 works of art.
- Deadline October 11: Works must be delivered to K Space Contemporary – Hours: Wed. – Sat. 11am to 5 pm.
- Size: Finished works must be 18” wide x 24” tall x ≅5/8” deep on canvas, panel or sturdy backing. (vertical format) Works on paper must be adhered to a sturdy backing, such as foam-core.
- Media: All 2-dimensional media is accepted. Sculptural relief on 18” x 24” canvas/panel is okay. Works must hang on the wall – We are not accepting free-standing 3-dimensional works.
- Presentation: No Frames Please. Works must be wired and ready to install. Attach wire to D-rings or screw eyes. Sides of canvas must be painted black or with the image continued around the edges.
- Label your work!!! Each work must arrive with 2 labels attached – one permanent and one to remove. Labels must include: Artist’s name, email address/phone, title, media, and retail price.
- Price: K Space retains 40% commission on works sold. Include commission when pricing your work.
- Delivery/Shipping: Artists are responsible for delivery of their artwork to and from the gallery, including any shipping costs incurred.
- Curating: K Space Contemporary reviews all works of art for artistic quality and relevance to the exhibition theme. K Space Contemporary reserves the right to eliminate works of art for any reason.
- Oct. 11: Works due at K Space Contemporary, 415D Starr St., Corpus Christi, TX 78401
- Oct. 20 – Nov. 15: Exhibition Dates
- Oct. 20: Dia de los Muertos Brunch for K Space Contemporary Members
- Nov. 1: ArtWalk Reception, 6 to 9 pm
- Nov. 2: Dia de los Muertos Festival, 3 pm to midnight
- Nov. 16, 11am to 5 pm: Pick Up Works
FMI: Email email@example.com or Call K Space at (361) 887-6834.