[one_half]HECHO A MANO ARTS AND CRAFTS EXPO: Our ARTS EXPO has the best selection of Dia de los Muertos products this side of the Rio Grande! Art – Jewelry – Crafts – Food – Make Up Artists – 90 Vendors! Original, Creative, Beautiful work by regional artists!
ART EXHIBITIONS INSIDE K Space Contemporary:
- DIA DE LOS MUERTOS FINE ART EXHIBITION: national juried exhibition of works of art that reference Dia de los Muertos. Juried by local painter Ricardo Ruiz.
- EXTRAVAGANCIA DE PINATAS: pinatas create by area K-12 youth groups. VOTE for your favorite pinatas and help these young artists win money for their classrooms.
- “ABSTRACTIONS AND ECLECTIC THINGS” – New Work by Nola GuarjardO and Nora Verdin: Gift Shop Gallery
- Altars created by youth groups and community members displayed in the majestic Ritz Theater at 715 N. Chaparral. Visitors may walk the illuminated path and pay tribute to deceased loved ones at the Community Altar.
- Community altar – The public is invited to add photos and/or leave a message to a deceased loved one with the materials provided.
TREAT STREET – DEL MAR COLLEGE ARCHITECTURE STUDENT DESIGN COMPETITION: Del Mar Architecture & Drafting Students create a kid-sized street of haunted houses where they can Trick or Treat. [/one_half]
- Dia de los Muertos Mural at Starr and Lower Broadway: In 2011, K Space Contemporary artists Ricardo Ruiz, Gerald Lopez, Jimmy Pena and Day Wheeler painted a mural at the Starr Street stairwell leading to the bluff of downtown.
- Loteria Mural – 319 Chaparral – Completed in October 2015, the mural includes an entire deck of artist-designed Loteria cards by 49 regional artists. Loteria games based on the mural and other merchandise are available at K Space Contemporary.
WATCH ART DEMONSTRATIONS or MAKE YOUR OWN:
- TAMUCC Printmakers: TAMUCC Printmaking students set up an on-site woodcut print shop where shoppers can select their image and have their own poster or t-shirt printed. This event helps raise money for TAMUCC’s Art Department.
- TAMUCC Student Art Association: Along with selling their own artwork, members of TAMUCC’s Student Art Association parade the Dia de los Muertos Los Gigantes. Be sure to stop by to take a picture with one of the puppets!
- HOLD STEADY IRON CREW: Next to the Ritz, watch the sparks fly, while TAMUCC Art Department’s Hold Steady Crew make tile and skull sculptures from iron. Guests can purchase a “scratch-block” mold to create their own design. The Crew will cast your iron masterpiece for you to pick up later. Proceeds benefit the TAMUCC Art Department. This is a spectacle that lights up the night!
- SUGAR SKULLS: Stop by to create your own sugar skull!
NEIGHBORHOOD ALTARS and EVENTS:
- HOUSE OF ROCK: Altar and THE Dia de los Muertos After-Party Midnite to 2 am!
- THE GOLD FISH: Altar by the Art Museum of South Texas