Call for Art
Ex Votos on Display Oct. 28 through Nov. 17:
Regular Hours: Wed. through Sat., 11am to 5 pm
Other: Oct. 28 – 3 pm to Midnight, and Nov. 3 – 11am to 9 pm.
In light of the recent catastrophes in our region and beyond, K Space Contemporary is hosting an Ex Votos show that will be displayed during our Dia de los Muertos Festival. Ex Votos are small votive paintings that contain a narrative (story-telling) image with a message of thanksgiving for prayers granted.
Oct. 20, 6 to 8 pm: Join us for a free Ex Voto workshop with Rache’l and Eric Payne of Creativity Tribe (space is limited, call 361-887-6834 to reserve your spot)
Oct. 21: Deadline for works to be delivered to K Space Contemporary
Oct. 28: Join us for the Dia de los Muertos Festival, 3pm – 12 am
Nov. 3: ArtWalk
Nov. 18 -30, Wed.- Fri., 11 am to 5 pm: Pick up artwork
“The premise of the Catholic ex voto is the vow,” the solemn promise supplicants make, in a moment of great hardship, to give public thanks to a particular Saint if he/she intervenes to avert disaster; the ex voto, in turn, is “the concrete testimonial of that vow’s fulfillment,” an object that stands as the material representation of the miracle itself. But ex votos are also offered in thanksgiving for unexpected miracles, in which case they function as public affirmations of God’s constant powerful presence in the lives of the faithful—poor or otherwise–and as records of their felt obligation to acknowledge it, to communicate it to others, to celebrate it. (from Understanding Ex Votos by Mariolina Rizzi Salvatori)
In spite of the devastation caused by Hurricane Harvey and other recent traumatic events, prayers have been answered and we have much to be thankful for. K Space Contemporary will mount an altar in the entrance of the gallery. Ex Votos will be placed together above and surrounding the altar, in the manner that they might be added at a church altar or pilgrimage site.
1. Open to All.
2. Each artist may submit 1 Ex Voto.
3. Size: 8.5” x 11” or smaller
4. Media: All visual art media are acceptable.
5. No frame is necessary – but a wire or rope to hang it with is appreciated. Push pins will be used if no other hanging method is provided.
6. Pricing: K Space retains 40% commission on works sold. Include commission when pricing your work.
7. Label your work!!! Attach a label to each work of art including name, contact email or phone, title, media, and retail price. Register each piece on the List of Works at the front desk.
8. Deliver your work to K Space Contemporary by Oct. 21.
9. Pick up Nov. 18 – Nov. 30 during regular K Space hours. Closed Thanksgiving week. Art