For Musicians and Dancers at the Dia de los Muertos Festival
Below is important information regarding your performance at the Dia de los Muertos Festival. Please check the Entertainment Schedule(s) for your specific performance time(s) and stage. Some of you are performing on multiple stages, so be sure to check all stage schedules.
To see stage locations, check the MAP.
GENERAL INFO FOR PERFORMERS (MUSICIANS, BANDS, etc.):
Dia de los Muertos Street Festival is hosted by K Space Contemporary and Axis Tattoo. Michelle Smythe is the Director of K Space Contemporary and central contact for the event. Belinda Edwards, co-owner of Axis Tattoo, is the Co-Chair of the event. Casey Lain, House of Rock, is Chair of the Entertainment committee.
Promotion: Our Facebook page and Instagram site include festival updates and highlights. K Space Contemporary maintains both. Please include our event hashtag – #DiadelosmuertosCC – in your social media posts.
Set-Up Time: Musicians should arrive 1 hour before performance time. Dancers should arrive 30 minutes before performance time. Allow time for traffic delays. Please do not be late. Click for 2017 Entertainment Schedule Detailed.
Music for Dancers: Bring dance music on an IPOD or MP3 player. Put all of your music in the order of your performances into one Playlist named “DiaFest”. (There is no time for the DJ to scroll through your music to find the next song….) Hand your IPOD to the DJ just before you perform. Then, pick up your IPOD/MP3 right after your performance. Do not bring your music on a phone – if a call comes in, the music stops.
Amenities/Dressing Room: This is a street festival, therefore, we are limited as to what we can offer for dressing rooms and staging areas. We do not have the amenities of an auditorium. Please arrive dressed in your performance costume if possible.
Those in need of a dressing area may use the restroom inside House of Rock 511 Starr St. This restroom is a very tight squeeze. Also, be aware that the festival is crowded and it is difficult to make your way through the crowd. Be sure to allow extra time to travel to the stage.
Performance Areas for dancers and groups between bands: See the Entertainment Schedule for your performance area (Stage, street or parking lot) to the right of your name in the schedule.
Arrival/Parking: see individual stage information below for how to get there for your performance. Traffic on event day is extremely congested. Allow extra travel time for traffic delays.
STAGES & DETAILS
- Location: Starr and Chaparral Streets, hosting Contemporary Latin Pop and Rock bands until midnight. Early in the day are cultural performances, like Folklorico & Mariachi’s etc.
- Stage: 20’x 24’x 4’h wooden stage with a ramp and steps. 30-40 feet is allowed between the stage and hay-bale seating, so dancers may perform on the street level in front of the stage and people can dance.
- Stage Manager: Casey Lain, owner House of Rock
- Lighting: professional light system provided by SKIP Entertainment.
- Dancers perform in the street in front of the stage.
Arrival & Parking:
- Musicians: Turn onto Starr from Water Street. A volunteer will move the barricade for you. (If no one is there, move the barricade yourself and replace it as soon as you have pulled through. Park on the side of the street behind the stage. Do not block the other driveways on the street. Move your car immediately following your performance and loading. If no one is available to move the barricade, please move it yourself and replace it immediately. If you want to return to enjoy the festival, please use the RTA Park N Ride from City Hall and the County Courthouse.
- Dancers: The RTA is providing Park N Ride from the City Hall Parking lot. Follow “Event Parking” signs from freeways. Park N Ride will drop riders off at Starr and Lower Broadway in the center of the festival zone. Performers can also have someone drop them off at Taylor and Chaparral or at Starr and Water, then walk to the Main Stage on Starr Street.
SKIP Entertainment DJ Stage
- Location: the Ritz Theater Parking Lot in the 400 block of Taylor facing towards the bridge.
- Stage Management and Lighting provided by SKIP
Arrival & Parking:
- DJs: Enter festival zone from Mesquite at IH 37. Unload at Mesquite and Taylor. One lane of Mesquite street will be blocked and closed to traffic. You will need to carry your equipment about 1/2 block to the stage. Park on the side of Mesquite or Taylor street, and walk to the stage. Please move your car immediately following your performance(s) to allow other performers to park. DJs who on site by 2 pm and staying for the entire festival may park in the Furman Garage on Mesquite Street across from Mesquite St. Pizza.
La Cultura Stage:
- Location: On Mesquite St. near the intersection of Peoples. La Cultura Stage presents traditional Mexican performances like Ballet Folklorico and Flamenco dance groups; Mariachi, Tehano, Flamenco, Cumbia, Latin musicians. 30-40 feet is allowed between the stage and hay-bale seating, so dancers may perform on the street level in front of the stage and people can dance.
- Dancers, perform onstage if stage is large enough, and on the street in front of the stage if they need more room.
- Stage: 20’D by 24’W by 2” H, metal stage with steps
- Stage Manager: John Rosales
- Lighting: provided by tower lights and SKIP Entertainment
Arrival & Parking:
- Musicians: Come down Schatzel from Water Street. The back of the stage is at Mesquite St.. Unload your equipment there. Your stage manager will guide you to parking. Do not block other driveways. Please move your car immediately following your performance to allow other performers to get in. If you want to return to enjoy the festival, please use the RTA Park N Ride from City Hall and the County Courthouse.
- Dancers: The RTA is providing Park N Ride from the City Hall Parking lot. Follow “Event Parking” signs from freeways. Park N Ride will drop riders off at Starr and Lower Broadway. Walk down Starr to Mesquite, turn right and the La Cultura Stage is one block ahead. Dancers can also have someone drop them off at Schatzel and Mesquite or Upper Broadway, then walk to the stage on Mesquite Street. Allow time for traffic delays.
Kids Corner Entertainment:
- Located in Parking Lot at Mesquite and Starr Streets
- No Stage – a 20′ x 20′ area marked out on the parking lot.
- Stage Manager: Cheryl Votzmeyer
- Lighting is provided a light tower
Arrival and Parking
- The RTA is providing Park & Ride from the City Hall and County Courthouse Parking lots. Follow “Event Parking” signs from freeways. Park N Ride will drop riders off at Starr and Lower Broadway where you can walk one block to the Kids Corner at Starr and Mesquite. the Kid’s Corner Parking Lot is on the left.
- Kids Corner Performers may also have someone drop them off at Taylor and Chaparral to walk the half block to the parking lot.
Additional Funding for Cultural Programming and Entertainment provided by: