For Musicians and Dancers at the Dia de los Muertos Festival
Below is important information regarding your performance at the Dia de los Muertos Festival. Please check the Entertainment Schedule(s) for your specific performance time(s) and stage. Some of you are performing on multiple stages, so be sure to check all four stage schedules.
To see stage locations, check the MAP
GENERAL INFO FOR PERFORMERS (MUSICIANS, BANDS, etc.):
Dia de los Muertos Street Festival is hosted by K Space Contemporary and Axis Tattoo. Michelle Smythe is the Director of K Space Contemporary and central contact for the event. Casey Lain, House of Rock, is Chair of the Entertainment committee.
Promotion: Our Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/dayofthedeadcc. K Space Contemporary updates and maintains both. Please include our event hashtag – #DiadelosmuertosCC – in your social media posts.
Set-Up Time: Musicians should arrive 1 hour before performance time. Dancers should arrive 30 minutes before performance time. Allow time for traffic delays. Please do not be late. Click for full schedule including set up times: ddlm-entertainment-schedule.
Music for Dancers: Bring dance music on an IPOD or MP3 player. Put all of your music in the order of your performances into one Playlist named “DiaFest”. (There is no time for the DJ to scroll through your music to find the next song….) Hand your IPOD to the DJ just before you perform. Then, pick up your IPOD/MP3 right after your performance. Do not bring your music on a phone – if a call comes in, the music stops.
Amenities/Dressing Room: This is a street festival, therefore, we are limited as to what we can offer for dressing rooms and staging areas. We do not have the amenities of an auditorium. Please arrive dressed in your performance costume if possible.
Those in need of a dressing area may use the restroom inside House of Rock 511 Starr St. This restroom is a very tight squeeze. Also, be aware that the festival is crowded and it is difficult to make your way through the crowd. Be sure to allow extra time to travel to the stage.
Performance Areas for dancers and groups between bands: See the Entertainment Schedule for your performance area (Stage, street or parking lot) to the right of your name in the schedule.
Arrival/Parking: see individual stage information below for how to get there for your performance. Traffic on event day is extremely congested. Allow extra travel time for traffic delays.
STAGES & DETAILS
- Location: Starr and Chaparral Streets, hosting Latin Pop and Rock bands until midnight. Early in the day are cultural performances, like Folklorico & Flamenco dancers, Mariachi’s etc.
- Stage: 20’x 24’x 4’h wooden stage with a ramp and steps. 30-40 feet is allowed between the stage and hay-bale seating, so dancers may perform on the street level in front of the stage and people can dance.
- Stage Manager: Casey Lain, owner House of Rock
- Lighting: professional light system provided by Skip Entertainment.
- Dancers perform in the street in front of the stage, except Feria de las Flores dancers who will perform onstage.
Arrival & Parking:
- Musicians: Turn onto Starr from Water Street. A volunteer will move the barricade for you. Park on the side of the street behind the stage. Do not block the other driveways on the street. Move your car immediately following your performance and loading. If no one is available to move the barricade and you have to move it yourself to drive in, replace it immediately.
- Dancers: The RTA is providing Park & Ride from the City Hall Parking lot. Follow “Event Parking” signs from freeways. Park N Ride will drop riders off at Starr and Lower Broadway. Performers can also have someone drop them off at Taylor and Chaparral or at Starr and Water, then walk to the Main Stage on Starr Street.
- Location: Peoples near the intersection of Mesquite, this stage presents up-and-coming Texas bands. Dancers perform on the street in front of the stage between sets. There is no audience seating.
- Stage: 14’D by 20’W by 4” H, metal stage with steps
- Stage Manager: John Rosales
- Lighting: provided by tower lights and SKIP Entertainment
- Sound: provided by Del Mar College, Paul Bissell
- Dancers, Karate Demonstration, and Mariachi group perform on the street in front of the stage while bands change out onstage.
Arrival & Parking:
- Musicians: Turn onto Peoples from Lower Broadway or Schatzel. A volunteer will move the barricade for you. If no one is available to move the barricade and you have to move it yourself to drive in, replace it immediately. Park on the side of the street behind the stage. Do not block other driveways. Please move your car immediately following your performance.
- Dancers: The RTA is providing Park & Ride from the City Hall Parking lot. Follow “Event Parking” signs from freeways. Park N Ride will drop riders off at Starr and Lower Broadway. Dancers can also have someone drop them off at Schatzel and Upper Broadway, then walk to the stage on Peoples Street.
- Located in the Ritz Theater Parking Lot in the 400 block of Taylor facing towards the bridge. Cultural Stage presents traditional Mexican performances like Ballet Folklorico and Flamenco dance groups; Mariachi, Tehano, Flamenco, Cumbia, Latin musicians.
- Stage: 20’D by 24’W by 2” H, sectional wooden stage with steps. 30-40 feet remains open between the stage and audience seating.
- Dancers perform onstage, unless otherwise noted. Larger groups may need to split their performance between the stage and the parking lot area in front of the stage.
- Stage Managers: Hugo Martinez, Tony Martinez/Crush Marketing, Chris with House of Rock
- Lighting is provided by SKIP Entertainment and light tower
Arrival & Parking:
- Musicians: Turn onto Taylor from Water Street. The street is ‘Closed to Thru Traffic”, but not blocked by a full-width barricade. The stage is at the corner of Chaparral. Park on the side of Taylor or Chaparral street, and walk to the stage. Please move your car immediately following your performance(s) to allow other performers to park.
- Dancers: The RTA is providing Park & Ride from the City Hall and County Courthouse Parking lots. Follow “Event Parking” signs from freeways. Park N Ride will drop riders off on Broadway, at Starr and Lower Broadway where you can walk into the festival on Starr St.
- Cultural Stage Performers may also have someone drop them off at Taylor and Chaparral or at Mesquite and Taylor near the La Cultura Stage.
Kids Corner Entertainment:
- Located in Parking Lot at 617 Chaparral under the Loteria Mural.
- No Stage – a 20′ x 20′ area marked out on the parking lot.
- Stage Manager: Cheryl Votzmeyer
- Lighting is provided a light tower
Arrival and Parking
- The RTA is providing Park & Ride from the City Hall and County Courthouse Parking lots. Follow “Event Parking” signs from freeways. Park N Ride will drop riders off on Broadway, at Starr and Lower Broadway where you can walk into the festival on Starr St. – turn right onto Chaparral and the Kid’s Corner Parking Lot is on the right
- Kids Corner Performers may also have someone drop them off at Peoples and Chaparral to walk the half block to the parking lot.
Additional Funding for Cultural Programming and Entertainment provided by: