DIA DE LOS MUERTOS FESTIVAL: October 27, 2018, 3pm to midnight
[one_third]Vendor Application Deadline
September 10, 2018
Now in its 11th year, the Dia de los Muertos Festival organized by K Space Contemporary and Electra Art*Axis Tattoo has become one of the most popular events in Corpus Christi. The festival has been listed as one of the Top 10 Dia de los Muertos Celebrations in the US, voted Best of the Best (2016) by Caller Times readers and Best Festival (2016 – 2018) in The Bend Magazine’s Locals List.
Our Hecho-A-Mano Art Expo is a juried arts & crafts fair in which a panel of arts professionals review and select vendors from applications submitted online. We jury applicants: 1) to ensure quality, variety and originality, 2) to ensure that products conform to Made by Hand guidelines, and 3) because we have more applicants than available booth spaces.
Previous Applicants: Log into the entry form with your Email address and Password. Reset your password if you’ve forgotten it. If you applied anytime in 2014-2017, your profile/images are saved in the system and may be re-used.
Food Trucks/Booths (for food cooked on-site): Do Not Apply Here: this application does not apply to you. Instead, please contact Belinda Edwards at (361)947-6895.
Keep up with the latest festival info on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dayofthedeadcc
[one_third]2018 KEY APPLICATION DATES
- Sept. 10: Vendor Application Deadline. Fee $20.
- September 20: Notices of Acceptance/Denial Emailed to Applicants
- October 1: Deadline to pay Booth Fee (See booth fees below.)
- October 13: Set-Up Information emailed to accepted vendors and posted on website.
- October 13, 10 am: Vendor Meeting at K Space Contemporary
- Application Fee Due Sept. 10: $ 20
- Booth Fees, Due Oct. 1:
- $ 100 Single Booth 10’x10’/8’x12’ ($90 mbr)
- $ 200 Double Booth 10’x20’/8’x24’ ($190 mbr)
- LATE FEES ARE DOUBLE – Booth fees paid after the above Due dates
- Oct. 1-5: $200 Single Booth 10’x10’/8’x12’
- Oct 1-5: $400 Double Booth 10’x20’/8’x24’
Please Read 2018 Hecho a Mano Guidelines and Vendor Information below before applying. Guidelines change from year to year.
[one_third_last]WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY:
- 1 photo of your booth set-up
- 2 photos must be of products in progress. Show steps or yourself working on them.
- 3-22 Photos of your Arts & Crafts. (for a total of 25 photos) All products must conform to Hecho-A-Mano Guidelines
- Submit photos of EACH type of item that you intend to sell. Items not included in your application are not approved. You will be asked to remove them from your booth on festival day.
- If you make multiples, include 1 or 2 of your best examples.
- If you print your original artwork on novelty items like ornaments, coffee mugs, mouse pads, etc., submit photos of those items. Items with reproductions of your artwork must be limited to no more than 30% of your booth products.
- State of Texas Sales Tax & Use Permit. Vendors are responsible for collecting and remitting sales tax (8.25 percent) to Texas State Comptroller. Your permit number is requested in the application and must be displayed in your booth. Services (hair styling, face painting) do not require a Sales Tax permit. Fill in blank with “NONE”. If unsure, contact Texas State Comptroller.
- Description of Work (260 characters): Brief description of your work. Explain mixed categories here by listing products.
- Statement Specific to Entry (480 characters): Describe how you create your arts & crafts from initial design process to completion.
Helpful Info: VIDEO TUTORIAL FOR ONLINE APPLICATION
HECHO-A-MANO / MADE-BY-HAND GUIDELINES:
1. ARTS & CRAFTS
FINE ART: sculpture, ceramics, paintings, drawing, mixed media, collage, printmaking (limited editions), photography, etc.
CRAFTS: jewelry, sewing, knitting, hand-embellished items (like re-decorated bottles, glasses, boxes, hats, canvas totes, shoes, ornaments, etc.), masks, hair bows/barretts/headbands, floral halos, tutu’s, tile/mosaics, woodworking, candles, skin-care products, etc.
2. FACE PAINTING – If you are face painting AND selling crafts, select “Face Painting” as your category.
3. EDIBLES & ACTIVITIES
EDIBLES: pre-packaged candies, cake-pops, caramel apples, popcorn balls, canned items, etc. All food items must meet Health Department regulations and pass Health Department check on-site. (Nueces Co. Health Department (361) 826-7200.) Food Trucks – Do not apply here.
ACTIVITY: games and other types of activities for which you charge a fee.
4. DIA FEST PARTNER
Partners are Sponsors, School or College-affiliated group/clubs, unpaid festival performers, or organizations/non-profits that provide a free Kids Corner Activity. We exchange a booth space for your service at the event. Partners are not required to pay application or booth fees, because they provide a service for the event. Partners must be invited to participate. Select this category only if you are invited/pre-approved by Dia Fest Organizers.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT:
- Items that are imported, pre-purchased or mass produced
- Mass-produced buy-and-sell T-Shirts
- Knock-Off designs very similar to famous logos or artwork
- Works produced with commercial kits, plans
- Items with the following text: “Dia de los Muertos Festival,” “Dia de los Muertos Street Fest/Festival,” or “Dia de los Muertos Corpus Christi” or any other combination of these words. This text is only used only by the Dia de los Muertos Festival organization.
[one_half_last]We are an arts festival and believe strongly in the creation of original works. All exhibited works and salable items must be visual arts and crafts of original conception and design, primarily made by the hand of the artist; and not intended for mass production.
ACCEPTABLE ITEMS ARE LISTED BELOW:
- Original ArtWork and Crafts conceived, designed and made by the artist: paintings, drawings, sculpture, hand-built or thrown ceramics, hand-pulled limited edition prints (woodcut, intaglio, silkscreen, linocut, etching, engraving, monotype, etc.), photography, Fiber / sewing, collages, mixed media works.
- Reproductions / Novelty Items: Reproductions are inkjet or laser prints, offset lithographs/posters, high quality copies. Artists may sell two-dimensional reproductions of their own original works. These must be clearly marked with the word “reproduction.” We also accept novelty items that include reproductions of your original artwork, such as coffee cups, ornaments, mouse-pads printed through Zazzle, CafePress or similar printers. Reproductions/Novelty Items can constitute no more than 30% of your booth products. Photos of reproductions and novelty items must be included in your application.
- Hand-Embellished Items: recycled or purchased items that have been hand-embellished. Hand-Embellished is defined as painted, decorated, collaged, beaded, carved, or otherwise re-designed on the surface. Items must differ significantly from the original and show marked evidence of the artist’s hand. Examples include, but are not limited to: decorated wine bottles, decorated boxes, re-decorated ceramic figurines, hand-painted glasses & dishes, mosaics, appliqued/beaded/embroidered/painted fabric items like canvas totes, aprons, pillows, shoes, etc.
- Jewelry: Handmade beads, pendants and original designs in metal, ceramic, resin, polymer clays, etc. qualify as hand-made. The number of spots available for jewelry makers who string manufactured, mass-produced beads & findings is limited. Unique designs are more likely to be accepted to the festival.
- T-Shirts: T-Shirt vendors are by invitation only and have already been chosen for this year. Designs must be originally conceived and designed by the exhibiting artist. Only limited editions of 50 or fewer are allowed. All t-shirt designs must be included in application.
ARTS EXPO COMMITTEE: the committee will visit booths multiple times to review art pieces, crafts and set-up during festival hours. Representatives will require vendors to remove any articles that are not in compliance with the criteria set forth in these guidelines and items that were not included in your original application. Vendors discovered selling buy-sell items or putting things back out after they have been asked to remove them will not be allowed to return as a vendor in future years.[/one_half_last]
VENDOR INFORMATION & RULES
1. HECHO A MANO ART EXPO: Items in your booth must conform to our Hecho-a-Mano / Made-by-Hand Guidelines.
2. EXHIBIT SPACES are on the street or sidewalk. Single Spaces are 10’x10’ or 12’x 8′, Double Spaces are 10’x20’ or 8’x 24’. BRING YOUR OWN: tables, chairs, display equipment, battery-operated lighting, tent / tent weights, and change. Staking into the pavement is not permitted.
3. BEHAVIOR: Be respectful to festival volunteers and organizers. We are here to help and want you to have a good experience. Vendors who are disrespectful to volunteers & organizers will not be invited back to the Dia de los Muertos Festival.
4. The ARTIST/CRAFTER, who made the works being sold in the booth, must be present throughout the festival excepting short breaks.
5. LIGHT: Bring your own battery-operated lights for your booth. Street lighting is provided by tower lights. Vendors are NOT allowed to plug into tower lights; the tower lights will go out, then, no one has light. Fire-based lighting (candles, gas lanterns) and loud, noisy generators are not permitted. Electricity may be offered for an additional fee and can be elected at the time that you pay your booth fee.
6. FESTIVAL CANCELATION: If the festival is canceled, postponed or partially impaired, no refunds will be issued, nor shall K Space Contemporary, Axis Tattoo or the Dia de los Muertos Festival be held liable. There is no rain date scheduled at this time.[/one_half]
7. LOCATION: Booth location is assigned and determined by organizers according to the items you are selling. When possible, returning artists are placed in the same area as the previous year.
8. SET UP TIME: 10am to 2pm. Event begins at 3pm. Details and schedule for setup will be posted on this website and emailed to vendors 2 weeks before the event. Vendors are scheduled at specific times so they can unload near their space.
9. BOOTH BREAKDOWN may begin at 11:00 pm. However, vehicles are not permitted to drive into the festival area until streets are cleared after midnight.
10. CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF! Do not leave anything behind: tables, chairs, boxes, food, bottles, trash, etc. Leave your space as clean or cleaner than you found it.
11. PARKING: Furman Parking Garage on Mesquite Street inside festival grounds is available for free parking for our vendors.
12. BREAKING RULES: Vendors who violate or ignore the above rules will not be invited back to the Corpus Christi Dia de los Muertos Festival.
13. SPREAD THE WORD! We encourage participating artists to invite their patrons and customers and share event social media posts.
14. COSTUME! Everyone is encouraged to dress up in the spirit of Dia de los Muertos! Have Fun! [/one_half_last]
TIPS for entering your online application:
- Click “Add File” to upload each photo. Allow a couple of minutes for each photo to upload.
- Make sure you can see ALL of your uploaded images on your screen before clicking the PayPal button or “Complete Entry”.
- Show only 1-2 best examples of items that you make multiples of
- Use plain, one-color backgrounds free of clutter
- Use good lighting – point a lamp at your items
- Submit clear, sharp images
- Include no more than 6 different items in one photo. Photos of piles of prints or lots of jewelry on stands do not show items clearly.
- Do not submit photo collages.
- Photo Size: For best results, submit photos no smaller than 1800 pixels on the longest side with file resolution at 72 dpi. Maximum file size is 5 MB. Resize in Preview or for help, click How to resize photos
IMPORTANT! You will see 2 titles in RED on the Application Form page. To Apply to be a Vendor, be sure to select
“2018 CC Dia de los Muertos Festival Arts and Crafts Expo”.