DIA DE LOS MUERTOS FESTIVAL:
October 29, 2016, 3pm to midnight
TO 2016 APPROVED VENDORS:
Now in its 9th year, the Dia de los Muertos Festival organized by K Space Contemporary and Electra Art*Axis Tattoo has become one of the most popular events in Corpus Christi with 3 music and dance stages, Kids’ Activities, Fine Art, Pinata Contest, Altar Display and Hecho-a-Mano Art Expo. Many of our vendors have sold out in the past. The festival has been filmed for a PBS series “Embrace of Aging”, listed as a Top 10 Dia de los Muertos Celebrations in the US and voted Best Festival in The Bend Magazine’s Locals List. Check out the DIA FEST VIDEO provided by the Corpus Christi Convention and Visitors Bureau.
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING VENDOR APPLICATIONS FOR 2016. 2017 VENDOR APPLICATION DEADLINE IS AUGUST 25.
Our Hecho-A-Mano Art Expo is a juried arts & crafts fair. Juried means that our panel of arts professionals reviews and selects vendors from the applications submitted online. We jury Arts & Crafts applicants: 1) to ensure quality, variety and originality, 2) to ensure that products conform to Made by Hand guidelines, and 3) because we have more applicants than available booth spaces.
Note to Food Trucks/Booths (food cooked on-site): We are no longer accepting food vendors. This application does not apply to you. Different rates and rules apply. For information about being a food vendor contact Belinda Edwards at (361)947-6895.
Edibles/Pre-Packaged Foods: Apply here if you sell pre-packaged edibles like candy, cake pops, jellies, etc. Pre-packaged food vendors must meet all Health Department code regulations and pass Health Department check on-site.
Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dayofthedeadcc
READ 2016 Hecho a Mano Guidelines and Vendor Information below before applying. Guidelines change from year to year.
- October 2: Deadline to pay Booth Fee. Fees increase Oct. 3.
- October 14: Set-Up Information emailed to accepted vendors and posted on website
- October 15, 10 am: Vendor Meeting at K Space Contemporary
- AUGUST 25, 2017 – 2017 VENDOR APPLICATION DEADLINE
- FINE ART: sculpture, hand-thrown/hand-built ceramics, works on canvas/paper/wood panel like paintings, drawing, mixed media, collage, printmaking (limited editions), photography
- CRAFTS: sewing, crochet/knitting, embroidery, quilting, hand-embellished items (like re-decorated bottles, glass items, boxes, hats, canvas totes, shoes, ornaments, etc.), masks, hair bows/barretts/headbands, floral halos, tutu’s, pillows, tile/mosaics, woodworking, candles, skin-care products, etc.
- JEWELRY: categorized separately for booth assignment purposes
- MAKE-UP / FACE PAINTING
- EDIBLES: pre-packaged candies, cake-pops, caramel apples, popcorn balls, jellies, canned items, etc. All food items must conform to Health Department regulations. (Nueces County Health Department (361) 826-7200.) Food Trucks – Do not apply here.
- ACTIVITY: games, rides, bouncy houses and other types of activities for which you charge a fee.
- DIA FEST PARTNER: Partners are Sponsors, School or College-affiliated group/clubs, unpaid festival performers, and groups providing a free Kids Corner Activity. Partners are not required to pay application or booth fees, because they are providing a service for the event. Do not select this category if you are not pre-approved by K Space Contemporary and/or Dia Fest Organizers.
If your work fits into multiple categories, select the one that represents the majority of items in your booth.
- Oct. 3-10: $200 Single Booth 10’x10’/8’x11’
- Oct 3-10: $400 Double Booth 10’x20’/8’x24’
- $ 5 – Application Fee
- If paid by Oct 2: $ 100 Single Booth 10’x10’/8’x11’ ($90 mbr)
- If paid by Oct. 2: $ 200 Double Booth 10’x20’/8’x24’ ($190 mbr)
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY:
Previous Applicants: If you applied to the DDLM Arts & Crafts Expo in 2014-2015, your profile/images remain in the system. Log in with your Email address and Password. You can reset your password if you’ve forgotten it. Be sure to click ‘My Profile‘ at the top and update your profile with current & correct contact information. You may re-submit 2014-15 photos of items that you are still selling. You must upload photos for new items and demonstration photos.
- READ all Vendor Info & Hecho A Mano guidelines before applying. These change each year.
- 3-20 Photos of your Arts & Crafts. All must conform to Hecho-A-Mano Guidelines.
- Submit photos of EVERY item that you intend to sell. Items not included in your application are not approved. You will be asked to remove them from your booth on festival day.
- Include at least 2 photos of your works in progress with you working on them.
- Include no more than 4 different items per photo. If you make multiples of products, included only 1 or 2 of your best examples.
- Include photos of reproductions and limited edition items printed with your original artwork: i.e. keychains, ornaments, coffee mugs, mouse pads, posters, t-shirts, aprons, pillows, tiles, etc. Reproductions & T-Shirts must not make up more than 30% of your booth products.
- 1 photo of your booth set-up
- State of Texas Sales Tax & Use Permit. Vendors are responsible for collecting and remitting sales tax (8.25 percent) to Texas State Comptroller. Your permit number is requested in the application and must be displayed in your booth. (Services like hair styling or face painting do not require a Sales Tax permit. Fill in that blank with “NONE”.) If unsure, contact Texas State Comptroller for a determination.
- Description of Work (260 characters): Brief description of your work. Explain mixed categories here by listing products.
- Statement Specific to Entry (480 characters): Describe how you create the arts & crafts you sell, from the initial design process to completion.
- Booth Size: Choose single (10’x 10’, 8’ x12’) or double (10’ x 20’, 8’ x 24’). Electricity is not offered this year.
READ Hecho a Mano Guidelines and Vendor Information below before applying.
HECHO-A-MANO / MADE-BY-HAND GUIDELINES:
ACCEPTABLE ITEMS ARE LISTED BELOW:
- Original ArtWork and Crafts conceived, designed and made by the artist: paintings, drawings, sculpture, hand-built or thrown ceramics, hand-pulled limited edition prints (woodcut, intaglio, silkscreen, linocut, etching, engraving, monotype, etc.), photography, Fiber / sewing, collages, mixed media works.
- Reproductions / Novelty Items: Reproductions are inkjet or laser prints, offset lithographs/posters, high quality copies. Artists may sell two-dimensional reproductions of their own original works. These must be clearly marked with the word “reproduction.” We also accept novelty items that include reproductions of your original artwork, such as coffee cups, ornaments, mouse-pads printed through Zazzle, CafePress or similar printers. Reproductions/Novelty Items can constitute no more than 30% of your booth products. Photos of reproductions and novelty items must be included in your application.
- Hand-Embellished Items: We accept recycled or purchased items that have been hand-embellished. Hand-Embellished is defined as painted, decorated, collaged, beaded, carved, or otherwise re-designed on the surface. Items must differ significantly from the original and show marked evidence of the artist’s hand. Examples include, but are not limited to: decorated wine bottles, decorated boxes, re-decorated ceramic figurines, hand-painted glasses & dishes, mosaics, appliqued/beaded/embroidered/painted fabric items like canvas totes, aprons, pillows, shoes, etc.
- Jewelry: Handmade beads, pendants and original designs in metal, ceramic, resin, polymer clays, etc. qualify as hand-made. The number of spots available for jewelry makers who string manufactured, mass-produced beads & findings is limited. Unique, well-made designs are more likely to be accepted to the festival.
- Silkscreened T-Shirts: designs must be originally conceived and designed by the exhibiting artist. Only limited editions of 50 or fewer are allowed. All t-shirt designs must be included in your application.
WE DO NOT ACCEPT:
- Items that are imported, pre-purchased or mass produced
- Mass-produced buy-and-sell T-Shirts
- Knock-Off designs very similar to famous logos or artwork
- Works produced with commercial kits, plans
- Items with the following text: “Dia de los Muertos Festival,” “Dia de los Muertos Street Fest/Festival,” or “Dia de los Muertos Corpus Christi.” This text is only used only by the Dia de los Muertos Festival organization.
ARTS EXPO COMMITTEE: Representatives of K Space Contemporary & Axis Tattoo will visit booths multiple times to review art pieces, crafts and set-up during festival hours. Representatives will require vendors to remove any articles that are not in compliance with the criteria set forth in these guidelines and items that were not included in your original application. Vendors discovered selling buy-sell items or putting things back out after they have been asked to remove them will not be allowed to return as a vendor in future years.
VENDOR INFORMATION & RULES
1. HECHO A MANO ART EXPO: Items in your booth must conform to our Hecho-a-Mano / Made-by-Hand Guidelines.
2. EXHIBIT SPACES are on the street or sidewalk. Single Spaces are 10’x10’ or 12’x 8′, Double Spaces are 10’x20’ or 8’x 24’. BRING YOUR OWN: tables, chairs, display equipment, battery-operated lighting, tent / tent weights and change. Staking into the pavement is not permitted.
3. BEHAVIOR: Be respectful to festival volunteers and organizers. We are here to help and want you to have a good experience. Vendors who are disrespectful to volunteers & organizers will not be invited back to the Dia de los Muertos Festival.
4. The ARTIST/CRAFTER, who made the works being sold in the booth, must be present throughout the festival excepting short breaks.
5. LIGHT: Bring your own battery-operated lights for your booth. Street lighting is provided by tower lights. Electricity is not provided. Vendors are NOT allowed to plug into tower lights; the tower lights will go out, then, no one has light. Fire-based lighting (candles, gas lanterns) and loud, noisy generators are not permitted.
6. FESTIVAL CANCELATION: If the festival is canceled, postponed or partially impaired, no refunds will be issued, nor shall K Space Contemporary, Axis Tattoo or the Dia de los Muertos Festival be held liable. There is no rain date scheduled at this time.
8. SET UP TIME: 10am to 2pm.Event begins at 3pm. Details and schedule for setup will be posted on this website and emailed to vendors 2 weeks before the event. Vendors are scheduled at specific times and areas to unload near their space. 9. BOOTH BREAKDOWN may begin at 11:00 pm. However, vehicles are not permitted to drive into the festival area until streets are cleared after midnight. 10. CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF! Do not leave anything behind: tables, chairs, boxes, food, bottles, trash or any other booth items. Leave your space as clean or cleaner than you found it. 11. PARKING: Furman Parking Garage on Mesquite Street inside festival grounds is available for free parking for our vendors. 12. BREAKING RULES: Vendors who violate or ignore the above rules will not be invited back to the Corpus Christi Dia de los Muertos Festival. 13. SPREAD THE WORD! We encourage participating artists to invite their patrons and customers and share event social media posts. 14. COSTUME! Everyone is encouraged to dress up in the spirit of Dia de los Muertos! Above all – Have Fun! Click below to
Tips for entering your online application:
8. SET UP TIME: 10am to 2pm.Event begins at 3pm. Details and schedule for setup will be posted on this website and emailed to vendors 2 weeks before the event. Vendors are scheduled at specific times and areas to unload near their space.
9. BOOTH BREAKDOWN may begin at 11:00 pm. However, vehicles are not permitted to drive into the festival area until streets are cleared after midnight.
10. CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF! Do not leave anything behind: tables, chairs, boxes, food, bottles, trash or any other booth items. Leave your space as clean or cleaner than you found it.
11. PARKING: Furman Parking Garage on Mesquite Street inside festival grounds is available for free parking for our vendors.
12. BREAKING RULES: Vendors who violate or ignore the above rules will not be invited back to the Corpus Christi Dia de los Muertos Festival.
13. SPREAD THE WORD! We encourage participating artists to invite their patrons and customers and share event social media posts.
14. COSTUME! Everyone is encouraged to dress up in the spirit of Dia de los Muertos! Above all – Have Fun!
Click below to