Innovators and History Makers
2016, for many, was a year of great loss in popular culture – Prince, Emilio Navaira, Muhammad Ali, David Bowie, and many more. These losses inspired the theme for this year’s Dia de los Muertos Exhibition: remembering people who have made a difference in our lives and in the world.
K Space Contemporary invites artists to commemorate their favorite deceased artists, actors, poets, writers, musicians, politicians, revolutionaries, innovators and history-makers. This theme is open to interpretation. Works of art may be symbolic, conceptual, stylized, or naturalistic. We encourage contemporary concepts and originality
Register Early! Send an email with “DDLM Exhibition” in the subject line to email@example.com. Include your name, number of works you are submitting, and name of the person(s) that the artwork memorializes. To maintain variety in this exhibition, the number of works per celebrity (like Prince, Selena, Frida Kahlo, etc.) will be limited. Note: We are no longer accepting works in honor of Selena and David Bowie, so please pick another inspiration!
- Open to All – must be (or become) a member of K Space Contemporary. Artist memberships are $20. Join online: http://kspacecontemporary.org/about/support-2/ (Membership requirement is waived for Electra Art*Axis Tattoo artists, students of TAMUCC & Del Mar College.)
- Each artist may submit 1-3 works.
- Restrictions: Works exhibited in Corpus Christi within the past 2 years, and works previously exhibited at K Space Contemporary are not eligible for this exhibition.
- Media: All visual art media, except video, are acceptable.
- Size Limit: 2D works must be no larger than 40 inches. Sculpture must be manageable by two people.
- 3-dimensional works: Due to space constraints, a limited number of pedestal and floor-based 3D works will be exhibited. We will place a notice on the website once space is filled.
- Framing:2-D works must be properly prepared for exhibition with wire securely attached. Works on paper must be protected with plexiglass. Only white, off-white or black mats and simple frames are acceptable. Unframed paintings must be gallery wrapped (painted around the edges with continued image, black or neutral color). We do not accept: wet paint, clamp/clip/fragile frames, colored mats, or thick, bulky, decorative frames that are not part of the work of art.
- Pricing: K Space retains 40% commission on works sold. Include commission when pricing your work.
- Label: Label your work!!! Each work must arrive with 2 labels attached – one permanent, and one to remove to make gallery labels. Include: Your name, title, media, and retail price.
- Delivery/Shipping: Artists are responsible for delivering their artwork to and from the gallery, including any shipping costs incurred.
- Abandoned Works:Works left at K Space Contemporary 60 days after the last day of the exhibition are considered ABANDONED. Abandoned works will be disposed of, sold, or given away with no compensation to the artist.
October 1: Deadline to register to participate
October 14: Artwork Due
October 15-16: Installation
Oct 22 – Nov. 18: Exhibition Dates
Nov. 19: Artists pick up work